Martijn Weisbeek writes:
 > The current release-version BTW is not a good advertisement.

Well, luckily I don't have to worry about market share...

 > There's been an error while compiling somehow (which required some
 > patches) and those patches have not been implemented in the
 > download.

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all if there appeared a "competing"
installer of GIMP for Windows, with more frequent releases. All the
pieces are available. (There is an alternative installer package
targetted at Japanese users, BTW.) I would have built a new one by
now, but unfortunately (and unexpectedly) lost Internet access from
home when moving in April... (Oh well, so I have spent more time with
my family, books, and outdoors instead.)