>However the Gimp is definitely writing valid RLE streams to TGA files
>these days, so Petr please try again with e.g. Gimp 1.2.2

Gimp 1.2.2 still has the bug when saving/loading indexed (8bpp) TGA
images with transparency, which I reported to Nick some while back.
Sorry, I should have fixed it, but if I get some real-life work done
I promise I will give it a go.

I do agree that Gimp should read even line-wrapping RLE streams; a
cursory scan on my disk reveals a lot images which are made that way.
I did the same when I wrote the TGA reader for SDL (accepting rule-breaking
files but writing files according to the spec)