On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:22:44PM +0200, Raphael Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and then interpret it locally.  As far as I know, there is nothing
> that prevents the URI from having one or several "#" in the fragment

Except rfc2396, which specifically disallows this ;)

> The other characters that Marc proposed (spaces or 8-bit characters)
> are not valid in URIs and their behavior is undefined (they should be
> url-encoded)

That's the whole point, that they are not valid in URI's and as such it's
not possible to find a URL that would clash with our definition. Using
"#" means that common URI's to find documents (including "#fragment")
might suddenly clash with gimp, since the gimp interprets "#" as the image

Here is how I see it:

- "#" precludes using fragments to subselect ressources, since only one
  "#fragment" is allowed in an URI.
- "#" is the natural thing to choose sub-objects
- other characters thta are not valid in a uri make this unamigious
- other characters are unnatural

Another option would be ot use something like this:

or soemthing alike, which would make our fragment identifers coexistent with
other fragement identifiers.

(and soemwhat off-topic: the uri definition with respect to characters
is a single bug: it requires character sets that are strict (bytewise!)
supersets of ascii and, worse, gives no possible way to interpret it. so I
say that using "#" twice, even if forbidden would not be a problema t all