Karl Eichwalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > what benefit does this give? Converting at installation time is not
> > possible since we can not require the user to have the appropriate
> > tools installed. We could do it at release time, but this wouldn't
> > fit into the 'make dist' scheme.
> "release time" sounds good to me.  I'd recommend to modify the 'make
> dist' target and send a feature request to Bruno Haible.  There's at
> least one project which goes this road since a year(?).

I don't think release time is a good solution. First, we need this
feature now and I don't want to require gettext from CVS. Second,
we want to have useable po files in the tree all the time so gimp
from CVS is useable even if LC_ALL != C.

> > I see no real alternative to UTF-8 encoded po files in the tree.
> I'm all for UTF-8, but every single language team should decide when the
> time has come.

do you really think the additional step of converting to UTF-8 before
committing is too much for our translators? I don't think so.

Salut, Sven
Gimp-developer mailing list

Reply via email to