Hi,

"Stephen J Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   * In what form can a plugin access the GIMP image? (eg Are
>     layers pre-composited?)

you can only access layers individually through the plug-in API.
The layer can then be accessed as a drawable, see
http://sven.gimp.org/1.2/docs/libgimp/libgimp-gimpdrawable.html

>   * Can we really drive the mouse coordinate within the
>     GIMP core from inside a plugin?

No. Only tools have access to the mouse and there is no framework
for pluggable tools (yet).

>   * If not, how hard would it be to make a plugin do basic
>     airbrush/clone/pencil/brush functionality from coordinates
>     stored in shared memory?

you can call the Gimp's tools through the PDB, see
http://sven.gimp.org/1.2/docs/libgimp/libgimp-gimptools.html

>   What is your expert take on this?   Is it possible?

I suggest you take a look at the Texture Paint plug-in which does
something similar to what you have in mind, see
http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=405

Salut, Sven