This is gimp-print version 4.1.99b4, the fourth beta release leading
up to the 4.2 stable release. This release is not 4.2. This release
is expected to be very close to the final 4.2 release.
This software includes the Print plug-in for the Gimp, and GhostScript
and CUPS drivers. The support for printers in GhostScript and CUPS is
identical to the support for these printers in the Print plugin --
they use the identical code base. Please read src/ghost/README and
src/cups/README for more information on this.
These release notes primarily describe changes visible to the end
user. Detailed descriptions of changes may be found in the ChangeLog.
The Gimp Print plugin requires the Gimp 1.2.
Gimp-Print 4.1.99b4 contains the following changes over 4.1.99b3:
1) The PCL driver prints properly with glossy paper at 600 DPI on the
DeskJet 812 and similar printers.
2) Minor bug fixes for the Canon driver.
3) Lexmark printers now print correctly at the bottom of the page.
4) Indexed images now print correctly in color (in the Gimp plugin).
5) HTML, PostScript, and PDF versions of the user's guide and
programmer's manual are provided. 'make clean' will not remove
these, as the toolsets required to build them are not standard.
6) The PCL driver enforces minimum, as well as maximum, paper sizes.
This also works around a problem in CUPS whereby if too many paper
sizes are supported for a particular printer, the CUPS user
interfaces (localhost:631, KUPS, etc.) do not display any
printers. This problem was found to exist with the HP DesignJet
7) The CUPS PPD's and escputil are now translated. The package
currently supports Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, French, and British
English, although all but the Swedish translation are only partial
8) Color quality in the Lexmark driver is greatly improved.
9) Support for additional Canon, Epson, and HP printers.
10) Substantially improved print quality on the Epson Stylus C80 and
Known limitations of this release:
1) The Epson Stylus C40UX (and very likely other printers in the C20
and C40 lines) do not identify themselves. Therefore,
escputil -u -d
will not return anything useful. This will not be fixed for 4.2,
as these printers do not have a known way of identifying
2) The "align color" (-o) command to escputil does not currently work
on the printers that may support it (Epson Stylus Color 480 and
580, and C20SX, C20UX, C40SX, and C40UX). It is not presently
expected that this will be fixed for 4.2 (it is not known if any of
these printers do in fact support the align color command).
3) Changing ink cartridges on the Epson Stylus Color 480/580 is not
supported. This is not expected to be fixed for 4.2.0.
4) The drivers for the Epson Stylus Pro printers (5000, 5500, 7000,
7500, 9000, 9500, and 10000) are not tested or tuned. They are
known not to work properly in all cases.
5) The Canon BJC-8200 and S800 do not produce optimum quality.
Gimp-developer mailing list