Lourens Veen wrote:
> Last thingy, about professional use of Gimp, isn't this a bit of a
> chicken-and-egg thing? I can't imagine anyone using a program that doesn't do
> CMYK, serious halftoning and easy font work (with the added note that my X
> server crashes regularly on TrueType fonts rendered larger than 100 px or so)
> for professional print graphics. Having worked together with those
> professionals quite a bit lately I think Gimp needs to be quite a bit better
> still.

eh.... I work as a webdesigner in an Amsterdam based 'top tier' New
Media company. I do little in the way of print graphics thus this may be
a bit off-topic... But, all my work is done in GNU/Linux in GIMP, whilst
my co-workers use Macs and photoshop 5.x/6.x. The _one_ thing with we
find to be a hassle wrt. GIMP is the fact that we can't share documents
painlessly. There is a psd-save hack for GIMP, but the hack only saves
in psd 4.0 and doesn't keep text layers dynamic. The Best Thing(tm) that
could happen for us, is that a PHOTOSHOP plug-in be released that can
read xcf into photoshop.

CMYK, halftoning etc. would be nice indeed, but possibly a Photoshop xcf
plugin might be easier?

just my 0.02