This is gimp-print version 4.1.99b3, the third beta release leading
up to the 4.2 stable release. This release is not 4.2.
This software includes the Print plug-in for the Gimp, and GhostScript
and CUPS drivers. The support for printers in GhostScript and CUPS is
identical to the support for these printers in the Print plugin --
they use the identical code base. Please read src/ghost/README and
src/cups/README for more information on this.
These release notes primarily describe changes visible to the end
user. Detailed descriptions of changes may be found in the ChangeLog.
The Gimp Print plugin requires the Gimp 1.2.
Gimp-Print 4.1.99b3 contains the following changes over 4.1.99b2:
1) The Ghostscript stp driver printed incorrectly when the -sPAPERSIZE
option was used to specify paper size, and in certain other cases.
This bug has been present since at least 4.1.99b2. This problem
manifested itself in a variety of ways; in some cases, user
parameters were ignored, leading to incorrect output, in other
cases the program took an error and/or crashed. Anyone who has had
any problem at all with the Ghostscript driver should try this
version before reporting a bug.
The Lexmark printing problems at 2400x1200 and 1200x1200 were
determined to be caused by this bug, so there is no longer an issue
with those resolutions on Lexmark printers.
2) A new user's guide has been provided in doc/users_guide. This
manual is installed along with the package.
3) The Gimp plug-in now uses a notebook for the printer and image
options. There have been other UI improvements as well. The
plug-in now fits much better on smaller screens and is visually
4) Page margins for some Epson and Lexmark printers have been fixed.
5) "make uninstall" now works correctly.
6) The Canon BJC-4400 now prints properly when used in color mode with
a black-only cartridge (the driver prints in grayscale).
Previously the driver crashed.
7) Support for the Canon BJC-210, 240, and 250, and improvements for
8) Preliminary support for the Epson Stylus C70 and C80 and Stylus
Photo 810, and support for the Stylus Scan 2000.
9) The test pattern generator catches more error cases, rather than
10) A Swedish translation has been added.
Known limitations of this release:
1) The Epson Stylus C40UX (and very likely other printers in the C20
and C40 lines) do not identify themselves. Therefore,
escputil -u -d
will not return anything useful. This will not be fixed for 4.2,
as these printers do not have a known way of identifying
2) The "align color" (-o) command to escputil does not currently work
on the printers that should support it (Epson Stylus Color 480 and
580, and C20SX, C20UX, C40SX, and C40UX). It is not presently
expected that this will be fixed for 4.2.
3) Changing ink cartridges on the Epson Stylus Color 480/580 is not
supported. This will not be fixed for 4.2.
4) The drivers for the Epson Stylus Pro printers (5000, 5500, 7000,
7500, 9000, 9500, and 10000) are not tested or tuned. They may not
work correctly in all cases, and their outputs are not properly
tuned. In addition, the Epson Stylus C70 and C80 are not fully
tested and may not work properly in all modes.
5) The Canon BJC-8200 and S800 do not produce optimum quality.
6) Some HP printers print poorly at high resolutions using the Glossy
Paper setting. The workaround is to use the Premium Paper
Gimp-developer mailing list