I was hoping that the problems I had with 1.2 CVS were temporary and that
the attitude I got when trying to get it working was a result of someone's
long day. That was back in early December (or was it November?)

On a system that was perfectly adequate for building Gimp a few months
ago I now get told (during ./autogen.sh)

aclocal: configure.in: 138: macro `AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library

And shortly after this happens pretty much everything starts screaming
that two variables are undefined...

plug-ins/common/Makefile.am:223: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
plug-ins/common/Makefile.am:223: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined

[Where do changes get discussed these days anyway? Did the Gimp cabal
get resurrected? Did no-one learn their lesson last time ? <sigh>]