Not true.  I'm a software developer at Rhythm and Hues.  We're
actively maintaining and developing the 16bit GIMP for use in our
studio.  There is something a little funky with the autoconf/automake
setup that we never fully debugged, and the code is a little unstable
right now.

There are a couple of extra steps because of the weirdness, but it can be

automake -a;
./configure --disable-shared --disable-debug --bindir=<blah>
--datadir=<blah> --prefix=<directory above include directory>
--exec-prefix=<directory above bin which contains gnu tools>;
ltconfig --disable-shared; # have to do this separately for some
gmake all;

New features include things like improved UI, frame manager for editing
and painting on multiple frames from an animation clip, and save/restore