To whom it may concern:

If this email should be sent instead to the gimp-user list, please let
me know and I can send it there.

I attempted to compile the Gimp, version 1.2.3, (on a linux 2.4.14
machine) under X 4.0.2, and got the following error:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I..
-I../intl      -I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2
-I/opt/gnome/include/glib-1.2 -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include                            -I/usr/local/include
-DGTK_DISABLE_COMPAT_H  -g -O2 -Wall -c text_tool.c
In file included from /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gdk/gdkx.h:30,
                 from text_tool.c:28:
                                 X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
                                 X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
                                 make[2]: *** [text_tool.o] Error 1
                                 make[2]: Leaving directory
                                 make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                                 make[1]: Leaving directory
                                 make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I was unable to find the two header files that the compilation choked
on, and so my best guess is that X 4 rearranged the location (and
possibly API) of their header files.  Or it could be some other thing
entirely which I'm doing wrong.

If you need any further information, please let me know.  I'm not (yet?)
on the mailing list, so I would appreciate a cc:, if at all possible.

Thanks (for this and for a great product),

        John L. Clark