On 28 Mar 2002, at 12:35, Sven Neumann wrote:
> "Branko Collin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > I heard that Gobe Productive (http://www.gobe.com/) ships with
> > > plug-ins based on source code  from The GIMP and sent them a
> > > letter asking for source code. I'm forwarding their answer here...
> >
> > IANAL, so IMO these are the things you should run by the FSF, just
> > to make sure.
> >
> > (zblt... acronym overload...)
> >
> > Specifically, I wonder if using GPL'ed plug-ins cause the main app
> > to become GPL'ed.
>
> I think the license could indeed be interpreted in that way. Actually
> a couple of commercial applications showed up over the years that
> definitely (or most probably) use GIMP code to some extent. This is at
> least annoying and I wonder if we should start to defend our licence.
> On the other hand we might be interested in establishing the GIMP
> plug-in protocol and could even benefit from commercial apps
> supporting it.

I find that hard to judge. For all we know, these 'lost' plug-ins
cost us our competitive edge, equalling less users, equalling less
developers. Is that important? I don't know.

Anyway, just asking the FSF what's up with this won't mean they start
sueing right away. But the FSF do have the legal knowledge that we
probably lack.

--
branko collin