On Tuesday, 23 Apr 2002, RaphaŽl Quinet wrote:

> - Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse
>   pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then
>   zoom in on that point.  If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.

This has pissed me off for some time too.  All Apple Mac applications
I know of zoom centred on the current pointer location.  Expert users
can use this to zoom+scroll quite naturally, and novice users just
think it's zooming centred on the image but not quite right.

If the mouse isn't in the image window, then doing a normal "zoom
centred" is probably best.

Trying to guess that the selection is up to is a recipe for disaster,
as noted in the many special cases in the bug report.

I can't remember the Mac behaviour on zoom out.  I don't suppose it
matters too much there, though.