I got a reply from Miles O'Neal about my previous messsage.  Since he
cannot post to the list, here is his reply followed by my comments:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:34:01 -0500, "Miles O'Neal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:41:08 +0200, "RaphaŽl Quinet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am not sure that I understand the point about the focus behavior.  The
> > shortcut keys will only be received by the window that has the current
> > focus.  What I was suggesting is that the GIMP checks explicitely if the
> > coordinates of the mouse pointer are within the image window.  If it is
> > in the image window (regardless of the focus model), then the GIMP would
> > zoom towards that point.  If not, then the current zoom behavior would be
> > used.
> I understand that.  My point is that with
> "focus follows pointer", there is a very high
> probability that the cursor will be in the
> image window, but not where the user is looking.
> Yes, it *could* be elsewhere within the image
> panel, but since the image usually dominates
> the real estate, the most likely place for the
> cursor is inside the image window, itself.
> If you're mostly used to "click to focus",
> this may not make sense unless you switch
> models (usually via your window manager) and
> play around.
> It's not a major disaster if zoom center
> defaults to cursor pointer - just an annoyance.
> If it annoys far less people than the current
> behavior, that's OK.  I have no idea what the
> percentage of users is that uses each type of
> focus.

I have always been a "focus follows pointer" user, so I am well aware of
what this means.  But I don't think that the choice of focus mode has a
significant influence on the zoom-in behavior.  While using the GIMP, I
usually move the mouse a lot because most operations (e.g., selections)
require the mouse.  So I usually know where the mouse pointer is and I
do not think that I would zoom in on the wrong area by accident.

Anyway, it looks like most developers do not care much about how the
zoom shortcuts behave (considering the low number of replies), so there
is no strong preference for one or the other solution.