This is something that has been bothering me for a while, and maybe I am
not the only one who has noticed this.  I have compiled the CVS HEAD
version and the 1.2.3 version on the same old machine (a Pentium 200)
and the CVS version is significantly slower than the 1.2.x version.  Of
course, there is a lot of debugging code in 1.3.x, but I am surprised
that the differences are so significant on that machine.

Some simple operations such as accessing the menus (both the pop-up menus
and the menus from the toolbox), refreshing the toolbox or refreshing the
contents of the docks take approximatively 5 to 6 times longer than with
the old 1.2.3 version.  The delays are significant enough to disturb the
normal flow of operations (at least for me).

Does anybody know what could be the source of these delays?  Is this due
to the GIMP itself (debugging code, new user interface) or is this due to
the fact that the CVS version uses GTK+ 2.0 instead of GTK+ 1.2.x?

-RaphaŽl