RaphaXl Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Yes, I have played with testgtk in both versions.  Unfortunately the
> interface has changed so it is hard to compare the performance in both
> cases.  The new one from GTK+ 2.0 is definitely slower, but it is
> difficult to say if that would explain the difference seen in the GIMP.
> Maybe I need to find an even slower computer than my PC at home, so
> that I can compare how fast GTK+ 2.0 redraws its widgets compared to
> 1.2.x.

GTK+-2.0 draws its widgets double-buffered which definitely does not
make it faster (but reduces flickering). It might be interesting to
disable this feature by undefining USE_BACKING_STORE in gdkwindow.c.

> > Since we use a model-view concept in GIMP-1.3, we use a lot of signal
> > emissions to synchronize the UI with the core data structs. You could
> > get a noticeable speedup by compiling glib without debugging (default
> > since 2.0) and make sure that app/core/gimpmarshal.[ch] is generated
> > using a recent version of glib-genmarshal.
> Yes, I also get glib and gtk+ from anonymous CVS (updated during the
> week-end) so I should have the correct version.

gimpmarshal.[ch] might nevertheless not have been rebuilt since there's
no dependency to glib-genmarshal. You better have a look at the files
or touch gimpmarshal.list to force regeneration.

Salut, Sven