On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:08:36AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Philip Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Which is a really good reason to not do this sort of nonsense.
> > Just use autoconfig like always, instead of this silly pkgconfig.
> > It's too redhat, for a software tool that's supposed to be cross-UNIX
> > compatible.
> you obviously didn't understand what pkg-config does since it does a
> completely different thing than autoconf and in no way intents to
> replace it.

>From the pkgconfig README:

"pkg-config is a script to make putting together all the build
flags when compiling/linking a lot easier. "

Sounds a whole like like autoconf to me.
Or at most, autoconf plus libtool. Which you guys already use.
So pkg-config is redundant.

To put the same thing another way:
autoconf+libtool seemed to work fine for gimp1.2.3. So if it wasnt broke,
why are you trying to 'fix' it?