Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>I have compiled Gimp 1.2.3 with -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
>>-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and it can see files over 2GB ok, but if I
>>create a new image that is over say 3GB then the swap file fills up
>>until gets to 2GB and then stops. Gimp then starts to use up the rest
>>of physical memory until the kernel jumps in and then sends it to its
>>Is there a variable in the source that I can increase to make the swap
>>file bigger?
> there are several places that need to be tweaked. I have done a couple
> of changes in the 1.3 development tree that should allow to use large
> swap files as well as large tile cache sizes. These changes haven't
> yet seen much testing however. I'd appreciate your feedback if you
> want to give it a try.
> Salut, Sven

Hello again,

I have compiled the 1.3.8 release after finally getting hold of the
required files (I only have a modem so they were a bit big for me) and
grepped the resulting binaries to check that fopen64 was there. If I set
the image size to 65536 x 65536 the file size indocator says 0 kb, after
messing with the sizes a bit more it seems that the indicator wraps
around at 4096 MB. If I then open a file it seems that this version does
things the other way and fills up the memory first and then attacks the
kernel's swapfile so I couldn't check Gimps swap file because it didn't
seem to create one before the kernel killed it. I must say that I was
impressed at the speed at which the Gimp filled up the memory it was
very fast.