True, 8 bit is OK for "animation" work (like Shrek) but for live action it just does not cut it. This is why film gimp supports 16 bit. Any house doing live action work is likely long switched over to 16 bit.

As a photographer my results are significantly better if I do scan and initial level adjustment using 16 bit and convert later to 8bit to use the better tools of the current GIMP.

(just a note of encouragement for those working on 16bit support, we need it!)

-RW

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann ) wrote:

Just FYI (I have no specific goal with this mail ;): I met some guy from
Dreamworks ("Shrek") at the LWE in Frankfurt, and he told me that their
whole rendering infrastructure is 8 bit, including intermediate results
(so the whole of Shrek was done at 8 bits, with a later dynamic adjustment
of the results into the necessary range).

He also told me that they want to go to 16bits, for 8 bits is only ok
for exclusively-rendered movies, that 8 bit intermediate results do
hurt a lot, and that they do use gimp, for some unnamed adjustments and
especially creating textures, where gimp works extremely well ;)

And finally he told me that the need for 16 bit and floating point is
there in many but not most cases, so one _can_ get along without it, at
leats for rendered scenes.