On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Marc wrote:

> Just FYI (I have no specific goal with this mail ;): I met some guy from
> Dreamworks ("Shrek") at the LWE in Frankfurt, and he told me that their
> whole rendering infrastructure is 8 bit, including intermediate results
> (so the whole of Shrek was done at 8 bits, with a later dynamic adjustment
> of the results into the necessary range).
> He also told me that they want to go to 16bits, for 8 bits is only ok
> for exclusively-rendered movies, that 8 bit intermediate results do
> hurt a lot, and that they do use gimp, for some unnamed adjustments and
> especially creating textures, where gimp works extremely well ;)
> And finally he told me that the need for 16 bit and floating point is
> there in many but not most cases, so one _can_ get along without it, at
> leats for rendered scenes.

It makes a lot of difference whether those 8 bits are before or after
gamma correction.  8 bits pre-gamma is definitely not enough for some
things - 8 bits post-gamma should be enough for most applications.

Steve Baker                      (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.link.com
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.sjbaker.org