Hmmm. That's exactly what I did, but it didn't work. I also did a
system-wide search to make sure there wasn't another XftConfig file that it
may be using instead of the one in /etc/X11. No other copies were found
except for a symbolic link in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.

All the fonts I'm trying to add are TrueType and as far as I know are all
scalable. Is there a way to find out for sure which fonts are scalable and
which are not? All of the fonts appear in the fonts.scale file which I think
means they are scalable.

(btw: restarting xfs was an act of desperation.)