The default histogram display seems wrong in Gimp, by the standards of
photoshop and a number of other image management programs.  There is a link
below to an image demonstrating what I mean.  (I am cross-posting this to
Filmgimp, because there seems to be common histogram code).

An optional plug-in for Gimp called "Color Correction" seems to do
histograms the way I would expect, i.e., giving meaningful feedback to
determine (about a photograph) whether the exposure was well chosen, and
serving as a useful guide for correction using levels and curves.

Take a look at this image to see how Gimp's main histogram display compares
with the Color Correction plug-in's.

I can't find the Color Correction plug-in at the Gimp registry, so I've put
a copy of it at:

Best Regards