"Joao S. O. Bueno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wrote yesterday that I was writting a XOR layer combine mode.
> So, it ocurred to me that with something more elaborated than what I
> did, there could be implemented a "custom layer combine" mode.
> Them, one "custom" option would be added in the layer mode/paint
> options,a nd the actual pixel operations for this would be defined
> in a dialog box somewhere else, maybe even as a plugin.

I like the idea of pluggable paint-modes since the API would probably
be relatively simple. This makes it an ideal candidate for providing a
GimpModule interface to it:

For an example have a look at the GimpColorDisplay API:

and a simple impplementation:

> So, I would like to know if you think this could be an itneresting
> feature.  What could and could not be done here. If we get to an
> interesting final idea here, I think I can write, with ocasional
> questions to you, the necessary code to make it work.

First of all, we are of course interested in your patch that
implements XOR as a new layer mode. It might be a little late to
integrate pluggable paint-modes now since we really need to get a
release done soon. So we might want to include your new layer mode now
and develop pluggable paint-modes in parallel. It could then be merged
when the code is branched after the release.