Hi,

<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann )> writes:

>> of the first things I teach to one who is learning the GIMP is the
>> dinamic shortcut allocation.
>
> Which has gone out of 1.3 (yes, you can enable it in the preferences, but
> people telling me that it probably doesn't work because it collides with
> gtk2 isn't encouraging).
>
> That's actually my only usability problem with 1.3 now... If dynamic
> shortcuts don't work reliably, they should be taken out and not be
> offered. The better option would be to "fix" gtk2 if it needs fixing, or
> just plain disbaling that part, since  I can't say I found anything int
> he new UI that would let pay me the price of not having dynamic
> shortcuts.
>
> Really, dynamic key bindings is *the* killer feature. Disabling it in
> 1.3 is a major drawback.

You obviously did not understand the reasoning behind this change.
There is no problem with Dynamic Shortcuts not working reliably and
there's no need for any fixing in gtk2. The only problem is that since
shortcuts can be easily changed, they are easily changed by accident.
With the use of mnemonics in 1.3 the chance to make such a mistake has
increased. That's why it is disabled by default.

Reassigning shortcuts should be done with care and thought. People are
supposed to go to the Prefs, enable Dynamic Shortcuts, change the
keyboard shortcuts, then disable Dynamic Shortcuts again. That way the
configured shortcuts are safe from accidental changes. IMO this is an
improvement over 1.2.