Marc Lehmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> There is no standard protocol for requesting a "maximize size" (probably
> there isn't one at all, but I do not know this). Implementing one is easy,
> getting all the window managers to implement it is not so easy :)

The Window Size Hints (XA_WM_NORMAL_HINTS) that an application provides
for the window manager not only have base_(width|height) and
min_(width|height), they also have max_width and max_height fields.
(also interesting is the (min|max)_aspect...)

However, given scalable fonts this rarely is useful and I am unsure
about the support in the various toolkits and windowmanagers. I am also
unaware of any programs using it.

So, there *is* a standard protocol already...  :-)

Bye,
        Simon
--
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/