Greetings Gimp Gurus,

I have run into a baffling problem when trying to compile the gimp
(1.2.5 and 1.3.x) on a RH9 system.  As far as I can tell, it seems
limited to the gimp:  I can configure and compile other tarballs without
any problem.  What makes it weird is the workaround.  Details follow.

When I have /usr/local/lib in my search path (as I usually do, via
/etc/ and /sbin/ldconfig) the gimp configure step hiccups:

config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
./config.status: line 1332: 29673 Segmentation fault      sed -f
$tmp/undefs.sed $tmp/in >$tmp/out

and config.h doesn't get built.  Somehow, somewhere, something is
crashing sed.  If I take /usr/local/lib out of my library path, it all
works.  My initial thought was that there were duplicate libraries
between /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib, but I haven't found any.
When I checked configure.log, there was no hint of any trouble.

I have noticed that /sbin/ldconfig complains that a number of files aren't symlinks, but they all seem to be actual
executables.  How this relates I have no idea.

An additional effect that I have noticed only with the gimp, is that
make crashes repeatedly during the compile.  I was wondering if this
meant I was running out of temp disk, but I still have close to 2G left
on the root filesystem, so that isn't it; I have tried compiling with
and without /usr/local/lib in the file and both compiles
crash (segfault) after compiling for a long time.  Note that if I simply
reissue the make command the compile picks up where it left off, and
eventually I get a brand new gimp.

Has anybody seen problems like these, and can you suggest any possible
causes or other places to look?  It's not a show-stopper, but it
certainly has been leaving me baffled.

Jeff Trefftzs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    Home Page     Gimp Gallery                  Photo Gallery