RaphaŽl Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> According to the roadmap proposed a few weeks ago, we should be in
> feature freeze and we should have released 2.0rc1 by now.  Also, the
> old web site was supposed to be replaced by the new one in order to be
> prepared to support the new release.
> None of this has happened: new features are still being implemented
> (e.g., the nice tool presets added yesterday),

This is not a new feature, persistant tool options have been there
for a long time. The functionality of the "save" and "load" buttons
just needed to do something actually useful, that's what I did,
finishing an existing feature to avoid shipping loose end.

This will definitely happen some more times before 2.0 is out.

> we are planning for
> 1.3.21 soon (not ready for 2.0rc1 yet)

We cannot make a 2.0 release candidate until libgimp is API frozen.
Apart from that, current CVS is more stable and more consistent than
it was at the time we released 1.2, so actually we could release 2.0
at any time.

> and the web site hasn't been
> moved.

You know my opinion about this.

> This is not a real problem because this is usual in Free
> Software projects and there are be good reasons for these delays: a
> 1.3.21 release would be really useful to test the latest bug fixes.

I totally agree and still wonder why we still have that old website.
While we have good reasons to delay 2.0 release candidates, I fail
to see a single reason for further web site moving delays.

> But if we still want to keep the goal of releasing 2.0 before next
> year,

As I said above, I don't see a reason why we should not be able to
do this.

> then it would be useful to revive the idea of the feature
> freeze.  One way to do that would be to create a branch for 2.0 (like
> what was done for gimp-1-2) and say that only bug fixes can be done on
> that branch.  Being "forced" to move away from CVS HEAD would probably
> change the way we consider the code for 2.0, and discourage the
> addition of new features which may be very nice and useful, but go
> against the feature freeze.

Nothing went against the freeze. See above.

> I suggest to create that branch immediately after the 1.3.21 release.
> What do you think?


Gimp-developer mailing list

Reply via email to