Note: I am adding a CC: to the gimp-web list and I suggest to continue
the discussion there because this is slightly off-topic for the
developers list.

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:01:29 +0200, David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > The web team says it's ready to move, several developers have said
> > > they want it to move now, I just wanted to sort out what exactly is
> > > preventing the website move.
> > 
> > If you would have read gimp-web list (where this topic should actually
> > be discussed), you would know that there were good reasons for not
> > doing the move immidiately. I believe that most or evenall of these
> > points have been addressed in the meantime but we should leave it up
> > to the web team to decide when they want to move the site.

Yes, most of these points have been addressed in the meantime and the
site has been ready since the 23rd of September.  On that day, I
posted a message to the gimp-web list summarizing the status of the
web site, the recent changes, and saying that the site was ready for
the move.  Some additional issues were raised, and fixed on the same
day.  There have been almost no changes to the web site since then,
because everybody in the web team is waiting for the site to move.

> So as far as I can tell, the web team is waiting for the switch
> to happen. I am honestly interested in knowing why it hasn't.

Moving the web site will require more than a simple DNS switch: the
machine hosting the old web site will be replaced by the new one.  So
moving the web site requires moving all user accounts from the old
machine (wilber) to the new one.  Wilber is also hosting most of the
other * web sites (such as and handles
all e-mail traffic.  This migration will have to be done by
someone who has root access for both machines and who can update all
DNS entries, so this is out of the scope of the gimp-web team.  As far
as I know, the only ones who can do something about it are Yosh
(Manish Singh) and Snorfle (Shawn T. Amundson).

Two weeks ago, Yosh sent an e-mail saying that he was too busy to move
the site at that time, but he was hoping to do it soon.  Last week, he
sent me a message saying that he would try to do it during the
weekend.  It looks like he didn't have the time to do it.  He is
probably too busy with other things.  Although the wait and the lack
of updates are a bit frustrating, I cannot really blame him for that:
as I am also doing the gimp stuff during my spare time, I understand
that when you have little or no spare time, it is difficult to take
care of the GIMP, the web site, etc.  Sometimes, real life gets in the
way of the fun stuff.  :-(  And if Yosh is the only one who can do
something about it, I prefer to let him find enough time to do it
right than to do half of the job in a hurry and then leave the web
site or some accounts in a broken state that can only be fixed later
when he finds more time.


P.S.: Dave, you mentioned that you had problems subscribing to the
      gimp-web list.  I remember having had some problems as well, but
      I eventually found a way to make it work.  I don't remember
      exactly how but there are several ways (web or e-mail) to
      subscribe and to confirm the subscription and at least one of
      them works.  Please try subscribing again, because any
      discussion about the web site should take place on the gimp-web
Gimp-developer mailing list

Reply via email to