RaphaŽl Quinet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2003 17:04:37 +0100, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It is even raised when the last image window is closed. It is treated
> > special when you hit Tab. All this makes it the leader window of the
> > GIMP application.
> But could you explain to a newbie _why_ this is like that?  Is there a
> reason why only that window (which includes a dock) is raised when the
> last image window is closed and why this one is treated differently
> when you press Tab?  Why don't we do the same thing for all docks?

Actually the "raising" action that Sven mentioned is a side-effect
of the Tab-Feature. I'm pretty sure that you know about it, but it
appears garbled in your description.

   * The first <Tab> in an image window hides the toolbox and the docks
   * The second <Tab> lets the toolbox reappear
   * The third <Tab> also lets the docks reappear.

Basically the Tab key cycles between Full blown GUI, Toolbox only, just
image windows. And IMHO the possibility to have a reduced GUI
(Toolbox only) seems useful to me.

Of course we have to make sure that a window of the Gimp is visible when
the last image window gets closed. So we make sure that the toolbox
gets _present()ed again [1], when the last open image gets closed.

So the Toolbox Window is different, because it is by definition the
minimal GIMP GUI.

Hope this clears things up.

[1] There lurks an annoyance here: this step actually should be omitted
when actually closing the GIMP. I sometimes have the effect that I
shut down the Gimp (living in its own Viewport), switch to a different
Viewport and want to do something different and *oops* Sawfish switches
back (because the toolbox got _present()ed) and I have to watch the
Shutdown process of the GIMP.

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/