From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: 14 Mar 2004 02:50:09 +0100

   Robert L Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

   > Fink and Darwinports are simply not options for mainline OS X
   > users.  Mac users want to literally buy a machine and turn it on.
   > Think about what happens when you buy a lamp, you plug it into
   > the wall and turn it on.  They're amazingly close to that, with
   > things like Airport.  >From a user engineering standpoint, it's a
   > tour de force.

   Afak, you can build binary images from darwinport packages with a
   single command. If you provide such an image file to your users,
   it's a matter or dragging the file onto the finder and the software
   is installed, ready to be used. But certainly you know about this
   and I assume that this is the way you are offering the gimp-print
   software to MacOS X users. It would be easy to include glib2 as
   part of this gimp-print image file.

That's what I meant; that would be a possibility.  We would just need
to make sure it didn't collide with anything else.  I prefer to
minimize the amount of stuff we install in the background, but that
could conceivably be an option.  Whether it's worthwhile is a second

   > I think we have a problem when something goes from current to
   > obsolete in 18 months.

   That's a rather long time and since you are developing a new
   version of gimp-print at the moment, you should seriously consider
   to base it on libraries that are current and not something that
   dates back to the year 2001. A lot has happened since then. I don't
   have glib-1.2 installed any longer on any of the computers I am
   using. You can expect that this will be the case for most if not
   all distributions emerging over the next months.

It's a long time for developers who are used to living on the bleeding
edge.  It's not a long time for end users who don't want to upgrade
something that works.  Like I said, note that even Microsoft was
forced to backtrack when they tried to force people off Windows 98.

Project lead for Gimp Print   --

--Eric Crampton