Kevin Myers wrote:

You seem to know what you're talking about Kelly, so I'll have to accept
your word that my suggestion is un-Scheme-like.  However, please verify one
thing regarding your suggestion:  How do you handle parameter values with
imbedded blanks or other "special" characters?

(True) Scheme has a quoting mechanism for this issue, which is relatively well defined. It might be tricky to quote those quotes when you're using an inferior command shell (such as Windows Explorer), but this should be considered a fault of those environments -- and is certainly no reason to abandon the R5RS standard.