This is going back a bit...

Sven Neumann wrote:

I suggested that we make a list of changes for 2.2, so I sat down and
tried to come up with such a list. [...]

- option to edit files from cmd line sequentially

I've thrown together a plugin which might satisfy the original feature request. It probably needs some refinement, but it's interesting that this can be done as a plugin rather than needing any core code changes. It's at:

Comments are welcome. I haven't actually done much testing, but
it seems to work OK. There's also a small bug in that the plugin
keeps a stray reference to the last image used - how do I get
rid of that?

-- David Hodson -- this night wounds time