Stephan Menzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > pkg-config isn't related to automake. At least not more than gimptool.
> I know. But adjusting Makefile.am to use pkg-config would require be
> much more knowledge of automake than simply changing it to use
> gimptool-2.0.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not really. Let me give you some examples...

The standard way of using gimptool-2.0 from configure.in is to use

The pkg-config way of doing this is:

  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GIMP, gimp-2.0 gimpui-2.0 >= 2.0.1)

Both macros do a version check and fill in the variables GIMP_CFLAGS

Additional info can be gathered by calling gimptool-2.0 directly, for

 CFLAGS=`gimptool-2.0 --cflags-noui`

The pkg-config way of doing this is to use:

 CFLAGS=`pkg-config --cflags gimp-2.0`

The advantage of using pkg-config is that it's not a GIMP specific
solution. You need to learn the syntax just once and can use it for
all those libraries that install .pc files.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about using gimptool. Just
wanted to point out the advantages of using pkg-config.