The problem was in font. Cyrillic glyphs (which I wanted to use) were
in second half of ascii table, while in expected position in unicode table
there were some other (dumb) cyrillci glyphs. This is the problem of all
old truetype fonts. fontforge (pfaedit in past) has very nice feature,
you may copy range of glyphs and paste them into desirable position.
That way I've solved my problem. Probably, this problem could be mentioned
in documentation.

        Oleg
On Wed, 26 May 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oleg Bartunov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > Please read http://gimp.org/unix/fonts.html
> >
> > I have no problem with finding font, it's shown in list of fonts, I
> > could select him. The problem is that cyrillic characters picked
> > from another font, while there is no problem with latin chars.
> >
> > screenshot is available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/gimp/shot.png
>
> Does the font provide any cyrillic glyphs at all? Pango will fall back
> (based on info from fontconfig) to a different font if the choosen
> font cannot provide the requested glyph.
>

> Sven

        Regards,
                Oleg