Hi,

Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Very interesting read. Hopefully we'll see some of the issues
> addressed in future.

reading about the difficulties to move a text layer made me do the
following change immidiately:

2004-06-04  Sven Neumann  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        * app/tools/gimptexttool.c (gimp_text_tool_class_init): allow to
        move a text layer using the cursor keys.

Since it was just a single line of code to add I have also merged this
little new feature into the stable tree.

Now I'd like to add moving text layers using the mouse to the HEAD
branch but I am not sure how the tool should behave. At the moment it
does the following:

 - If the user clicks on a text layer the text tool is activated and
   connected to the text layer. This means that you can then
   manipulate the text layer by changing the text tool options.

 - If the user clicks on the text layer that the text tool is already
   active for, the text editor is opened.

 - If the user clicks outside a text layer a new text is created and
   the text editor is opened.

I am not at all happy with the current behaviour and I don't know how
moving the layer would fit into this. Perhaps someone has an idea on
how to improve this?

In the long run the text tool is supposed to allow editing of a text
box. The user should be able to resize the text layer interactively
with the text flowing in that box. It would probably be good to keep
that in mind when thinking about a better text tool behaviour.