hi, there is an interesting discussion on the gimp-users list.  i
forward this because i am suggesting that the floating layer stuff be
changed or even removed from this new gimp that has layers and such that
work so well now for so long.

----- Forwarded message from John Dorfman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

> > one thing that i do not understand is the need for floating layers.  i
> > dont think that this term is being used properly here.  is there any
> > reason that there needs to be the extra step to make pasting directly to
> > an existing layer easier?
> I don't think so. I believe there is (or was) a bug about that
> too. IMHO, when you paste, you should paste above the active
> layer, into a new layer, and be done with it. People can then
> move the layer & merge down if they really want to, but as you
> say, once people discover layers they rarely anchor to the
> original layer directly.

I'm new here and probably won't post often, but I think I have an
answer to the origin of the floating layers.  I was recently looking
though the GIMP 1.3 manual.  And if I remember correctly, it said
something like this.  There was a time in GIMP or some software that
inspired GIMP where there were not layers.  Thus for pasting, floating
layers were born to crop and move, I believe, the pasted portion to
the appropriate dimensions before anchoring.  Hope this was what you
were looking for!

Gimp-user mailing list

----- End forwarded message -----

could we rethink this and maybe get rid of the floating layer stuff?  or
at least make it so it is not the default behavior of a paste?