Sven Neumann wrote:

> I don't think this needs any further discussion. I doubt that anyone
> would seriously disagree that floating selections should be removed or
> at least reduced. The point is that it needs an experienced GIMP
> hacker who wants to tackle this task.

There is an almost trivial way of making floating selections
disappear from the user's point of view:  just cause any
operation that creates a floating selection to automatically
convert it to a new layer.

The problem with this is that it would eliminate some very
useful functionality:  the ability to paste into a layer mask
or selection mask (in QMask mode).  Actually, it isn't obvious
to me what even an experienced Gimp hacker could do to keep
this functionality while removing floating selections.

  -- Bill

Sent via the KillerWebMail system at