Hi,

a short followup to myself...

As outlined in my previous mail, the checkerboard settings for the
preview should be taken from the gimprc when the preview widget is
created. It would be nice though to have a way to change the
checkerboard settings for the individual preview widget. I think a
right-click menu in the GimpPreviewArea is the way to go
here. Somewhat hidden but it would be an expert feature anway. Such a
right-click menu would allow users to quickly change to a
solid-colored background. As Carol outlined this can be useful if for
example you are trying to find the best radius to blur a text layer.