On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:27:30 +0200, Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [Sven pondered changing the CTRL-L shortcut of the layers dialog so that
> it is available for "File / Open Location" as suggested by the HIG.]
>
> Sven Neumann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > I frequently use CTRL-L to bring the layers tab to the front, it is a
> > > handy shortcut.
> Generally I'd like to have some kind of policy on the keyboard
> shortcuts. I tend to be a bit conservative with changing defaults,
> especially when I have to explain changes to people on fairs etc.
> (The <Image>->Image/Layers reorganisation still bites people - but this
> was IMO a necessary change).
>
> Maybe I am talking blatantly obvious stuff now, but maybe it is the time
> to explicitely state this: We should prefer Gimp-Usability over
> Standard-Compliance. Always. And just because we happen to implement
> lots of the HIG-suggestions that should not imply that we implement
> everything that remotely seems applicable. Especially I'd like to
> suggest better reasoning than "it's in the HIG" when it is about
> first-class[2] established keyboard shortcuts.

Definately.  The HIG is useful, but even its authors will tell you
it's not perfect, and every single niggly detail isn't necessarily
applicable to every application.  I think in general we should have a
good reason for departing from the HIG, but in this case we definately
have a good reason.

Rockwalrus