I've been playing with methods of implementing polar grids
that are not congested in the center, related to Bug# 151092
(GFig's Polar Grid: Independent Sector Spacing Control)

Here's the URL of an applet I wrote to test and demo the concept.
http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/cs/courses/cs200/grids/

I could update gfig-grid.c if you like, but I'd like some
direction (from someone who's done it recently) setting up
a build environment for it on Windows to test it.  (Of course
I have the Java source if you want to take and adapt it
yourself, or I could let someone else compile and test under
Linux if that's easier)

_-T