Thanks for the suggestion. Using Joao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> lead I use for now python-fu with the numarray extension. As far as I know such speedups are something scrip-fu is not capable off, and I truly hope one day script-fu will be phased out and python-fu (or any other sane scripting language) will take it's place.Others might disagree, but I don't consider perl sane :)

BTW, all this was part of a small evaluation of CCD noise removal method. If you are interested, the details are in

The results are quite dismaying. I appreciate any insight on the subject. However please note I am not looking for a solution for the specific image I used, but a generic one.

Øyvind Kolås wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:25:16 +1300, Joseph Heled

(I think this has been discussed on the list before, but not sure where/when.)

What is the best way to achieve the following functionality -

  Given two layers L1 and L2, I want L2 limited by it's distance from L1

      Result  <-  L1 - MIN( MAX(L1 - L2), -20), 20)

A. Write a plugin
B. Write it as a script-fu (not sure if script-fu can iterate on pixels, and
what is the speed implication). And I hate scheme.
C. Write it in python fu if I can compile it, but even though it is probably not
 as universally available as scrip-fu. Can I iterate over an image in python-fu?
D. I know I can do it with 5 layers and overlay modes. write this as a
script-fu. Not elegant and requires loads of memory for large images.

E. extend gluas to be able to pick an auxiliary drawable for additional pixel sources, (essentially resurrecting some code I initially had in a different version of gluas, and write the expression in gluas).

( gluas is at )