On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:11:39PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I do not know if you are a native English speaker but the term gimp is has
> a very similar meaning to "cripple".  If you look at the bug report I
> point to some comments where people other than me say they have
> encountered difficulties, notably the embarassment of explaining the name
> really was the gimp to a person in a wheelchair and that the user was not
> mocking them.

i think (with my experience with this community) that this person needs
to look at how he/she is treating the person in the wheelchair.  i dont
think (in my experience) that a defensive response like this can be
blamed solely on the name of a piece of software.  i would like to know
more about the people involved in this story.  there must have been some
mocking before hand or the person has recently acquired the need for the
wheelchair.

a name change will not fix either situation.

> I'm not a big fan of "funny" project names because different people find
> completely different things funny, and I much prefer names that give some
> idea of what a project does (which the long form GNU Image Manipulation
> Program does serve that purpose).

your activity with this project seems to say that this is not an
accurate statement.

carol