Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:36:50 +0100
   From: Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   Robert L Krawitz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
   [Exif orientation tag]
   > The obvious question is: if the rotation information isn't important,
   > why does the camera even bother with it, as opposed to doing the
   > rotation inside the camera?  Why does EXIF even have a rotation tag if
   > it's useless?

   Good question. Actually I have wondered quite a lot about that
   already.  Why the fuck doesn't a camera with an orientation sensor
   store the Jpeg in the proper orientation (quite cheap from a
   computational POV, just shuffle some coefficients around) and
   stores an *absolute* orientation tag in EXIF.

What is "absolute" orientation?  Orientation by its very nature has to
be relative to *something*?  I presume from what you say below that
you mean orientation of the camera.  I don't want to lose those two
bits of information.