On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:55:12 +0100, Raphaėl Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Currently, each image has a "dirty" flag associated with it.  In
> practice this is counter for the undo operations, but the users see it
> as a flag.  Unfortunately, this is not very flexible because it cannot
> tell if the image data was modified or if only its metadata was
> modified.  I think that it could be improved by splitting this dirty
> indicator in two (data and metadata) or maybe even three: [...]

Replying to my own message...

Before someone tells me that it should be a job for the GimpDirtyMask,
I should add that the main goal here is that the difference between
"dirty image" and "dirty metadata" should be visible outside the undo
code and outside the core in general.  For example, the plug-ins
should be able to test these flags.  Same for the proposed "tainted"
flag (or whatever it would be called in the end).  Otherwise, most of
the usefulness of these flags would be lost, so the current
GimpDirtyMask is not suitable for this task.

-Raphaėl