Hi,

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2005 09:03, David Neary wrote:
> > I was contacted over the weekend by the organiser of a Paris
> > based free software contest, who wanted to know whether I knew
> > anyone in the GIMP project who was prepared to be a jury member
> > for the competition.
>
> What exactly is the contest about? Coding flor a new project? Fixing
> bugs on existing projects? Or just using some free software at all?

It's a contest for rwarding individual efforts in free software.

Here's a site in French describing the competition:
http://www.toolinux.com/news/communaute/trophees_du_libre_2e_edition_ar5784.html

The website is in French, but the contest is intended to be
international - so far, confirmed jurors include one of the main
PHP and one of the main MySQL programmers.

This page: http://www.sil-cetril.org/trophees/
has a description of the contest: "Two types of projects can be
presented: Emerging projects which need a maturing phase, but
also more established projects."

The goal is simply to encourage free software development, as far
as I can tell.

Cheers,
Dave.

--