Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> if i try to "New Layer" a floating layer that has been pasted onto a
> mask, gimp refuses with an error message.

Sure, it has always worked like that.

> for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still
> exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone.  if gimp
> can tell the difference between a drawable or an image -- and it
> obviously does, there is no need for this floating step.  also, since
> you cannot see the layer while it is floating, there is no positioning
> that can be done.
> can floating layers go away now?  the arguments for them have ceased to
> have meaning.

There is no such thing as a floating layer, it's called a floating
selection.  Your argumentation is flawed. Of course if I paste
something into a layer mask, I want to be able to position it. That's
the whole point of a floating selection. This has, IMO, been discussed
enough in Bugzilla. There is certainly room for improvement here and I
am all for reducing floating selections as well as for making them
easier to deal with. But we can certainly not get rid of them
completely. That would be a major regression.