On Sunday 10 April 2005 13:56, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> Campbell Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hi, just wondering if I could use unmodified gimp icons in a
> > commercial project, what licence are they under?
> The GIMP icons are part of the source code and thus licensed as
> GPL. So you must not use them in a commercial product.

I beg to ask this: suppose he extracts these icons into their own files
(.ico, .png or whatever), and then his proprietary application displays these
files as part of the GUI. (all of this while putting the files on his site
for free download under the GPL license). Would that be considered a
violation of the GPL?

As far as I know, proprietary applications can freely open and process GPLed
code. So I don't think there's a problem here.

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hacker sees bug. Hacker fixes bug.