Hi,
I find the current use of the space key just great.
If other image manipul;ation programs fail to do that, that is a lack
of functionality on those programs - I see no reason to "downgrade"
the GIMP just to get the look and feel of other programs. The panning
funcionality on the botton right corner of the image windows works
allright for me - maybe there could be a way to let that more
visible.

OTOH, what about making it configurable? Is it feasible?

Regards,
        joao
        -><-