Here, in a nutshell, are the two sides of the argument:

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:54:31PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Not munging the reply-to header should be considered harmful. Not doing it
> makes it harder than needed for many people - usually the people who would
> be able to help the person who posted the question - to reply to as many
> people as possible. And making this harder is is not the purpose of a
> mailing list, is it?

I tend to agree with Alan, and disagree with "making this harder is is not
the purpose of a mailing list, is it?"  It does make it more difficult, but
less embarrassing.  I think that's the crux of it.  Having sent out mass
mailings that embarrassed me considerably a couple times because of
reply-to-all on a list, I'm all in favour of the single person reply.

P.S. "Who the hell is 'Giles?'"  I'm lurking with the intention of asking
for some weird help once I've made sure I'm not going to sound too stupid.
Suspenseful, isn't it?