On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:18:21AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> Jay Cox a ?crit :
> >On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 18:41 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> >> - Work on a framework to make plug-in settings saveable across
> >>sessions (this might be done now, is it?)
> >
> >Persistent parasites can easily be used for this. Parasites are not the
> >ideal solution and I'm not sure how many plugins use them.
>
> Parasites are not an ideal solution for this. You would idieally want a
> GimpPluginSettings object which you can then save/load with
> gimp_plugin_settings_save|load(). The storage should be a file, or part
> of the existing gimprc file (given RML's talk on many small files, this
> might be better). Persistent parasites have a problem - either they're
> per session or per (image|drawable). If they're per session, then the
> next time you start up all your plug-ins have reverted to their
> defaults. If they're per image, then you have to change your defaults
> for each application.

There are also persistent parasites that can be attached to the app.
This is how the png plugin stores its default settings currently. They
are backed by <gimpdir>/parasiterc.

> The main point to bear in mind is that this should be trivial for a
> plug-in author.

The most convenient way would be to handle it transparently, but I can't
think of a way that doesn't involve larger infastructure changes.

The hard part is a simple API that handles portable data serialization.

-Yosh